Davenport, IA asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Iowa

Q: Need advice on a traffic incident that was "setup".

I was involved in a traffic incident where a person claimed i scratched their car, which i did not. The police decided not to give me a ticket either. Where this is at, at the moment, is the iowa d.o.t. is going to suspend my license if I dont deposit $1,500 with their office in the next few days, because i was uninsured at that time. The letter also says i am entitled to an appeal of that action if i desire that. Can i get some advice on your thoughts on how all this plays out? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Unfortnately, the way most statutes run, you don't have insurance and someone claims you are at fault, even if you win you can be suspended. If the cops wrote it up, get a copy of the report. They are asking it sounds like for a security deposit. You want to argue, pay the deposit.

Consult a lawyer?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.