Iowa Traffic Tickets Questions & Answers

Q: We have a neighbor who parks his semi on the side of a gravel road. Is there anything to make him stop?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Iowa on
Answered on Jan 9, 2019
Peter N. Munsing's answer
If it obstructs traffic on a public road yes.

Q: Can you overturn an already paid for ticket?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Iowa on
Answered on May 8, 2018
Erik Steven Fisk's answer
Paying it = pleading guilty. Only in exceptional circumstances are you able to revisit a guilty plea. It is unlikely you would be able to do so here.

Q: First car accident ever and am being required to retest with the DOT to keep my license. Do I have any recourse?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Iowa on
Answered on Jan 4, 2018
Stephen Douglas Lombardi's answer
It's normal if you are a member of the Congressional majority. Without seeing/reading what you have there isn't any way for a lawyer to give you an complete answer.

Q: My 17 year old son took a truck and hit another car. Then left the scene. The other couple has liability what do we do.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Traffic Tickets for Iowa on
Answered on Nov 19, 2017
Stephen Douglas Lombardi's answer
The facts are not clearly stated, which makes answering your question difficult. I have been a lawyer for thirty-six years and a father for longer than that. Here is my advice: 1. Yes, he has to pay. 2. Make him get a job and repay anything you have to pay on his behalf. 3. Ground him and take away his license for some length of time. 4. Do not put the title to the car he drives in your name. Instead, record a lien in your favor, on the title itself. 5. Take away his keys to the car until he...

Q: I passed a stopped school bus and am under the age of 18 and was wondering about the consequences?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Iowa on
Answered on Oct 4, 2017
Stephen Douglas Lombardi's answer
If the facts are as you describe them, nothing will happen. If the facts are different in terms of the timing of the sign unfolding you may receive a citation for failing to stop. Were you on your cell phone texting? It is not an excuse, at least not a valid one, but you might consider the question and the implications of what would have happened had you been texting and children were crossing the street.

Q: Need advice on a traffic incident that was "setup".

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Iowa on
Answered on Aug 6, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Unfortnately, the way most statutes run, you don't have insurance and someone claims you are at fault, even if you win you can be suspended. If the cops wrote it up, get a copy of the report. They are asking it sounds like for a security deposit. You want to argue, pay the deposit.

Consult a lawyer?

Q: If I got any DUI and I got my license back in January I behave gotten two speeding tickets will this affect my probation

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Iowa on
Answered on May 2, 2017
Freddy Woods' answer
Any subsequent arrests that you have while on probation could result in a probation violation. Consult a lawyer to defend you at the hearing. If you do not have counsel and you are violated at the hearing, the judge could sentence you to serve the amount of time hanging over your head that was suspended to probation.

Q: Where can i find past court cases regarding "failure to maintain control" moving violaltions?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Iowa on
Answered on Apr 4, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Suggest you go to your county courthouse's law library, ask the librarian to help you if you don't want to get with an attorney. You should look for a mechanic to verify the "mechanical failure." Look up "sudden emergency doctrine" if you are on a d.i.y. kick.

Q: My 16 yr old daughter was ticketed for 20 over the speed limit in Illinois. She holds an Iowa license. Consequences?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Iowa on
Answered on Oct 31, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
Most states have entered into interstate compacts regarding driver licensing. If she is convicted in Illinois, and if she ignores it, eventually she will loose her Illinois license.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.