Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Texas

Q: Can a tx court keep me from my kids if i have court ordered joint legal custody in NM

Ex's wife put a restraining order against me in tx stating i cant even go to my kids schools they all live in NM and i have joint legal custody thru NM courts i have court on the 14th need legal help or advise please i just beat a case recently in nm falsly accused of something i didnt do by my ex and her for custodial interference but there the ones really trying to keep me away

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If the New Mexico Court had jurisdiction to issue a custody order in the past and at least one of the parents or the children continues to live in New Mexico, the New Mexico Court rather than a Texas Court would have continuing jurisdiction to modify that custody order. Child custody jurisdiction is a very complicated area of the law. You should retain qualified counsel to represent you in any hearings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.