Asked in Tax Law, Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Kansas

Q: i just found out my home has been sold for unpaid taxes, and i didnt know anything about it what can i do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: The initial sale of the house is to the county for the back taxes. There is a period of time in which the owner of the property may redeem the property. You should contact an attorney immediately to determine (a) when the sale took place; (b) the exact period of redemption you have; (c) the procedure for paying the amount owing for the judgment, interest and costs; and (d) the procedure for making that payment before the period of redemption passes. The period of time could be one to three years from the date of the initial sale, depending upon the circumstances. There is not enough information in your question to be sure as to the exact circumstances. You should contact an attorney immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.