Saint Augustine, FL asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Florida

Q: Florida Real Estate Law. I am looking to purchase an abandond home through paying of back taxes. What is the process?

Home is not on open market. It has 4yrs of back taxes owed to county. Home looks to be paid off otherwise. I do know there are county fines on property as well. How do I pay and take ownership of home if possible?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You are diving into deep water with this endeavor. There are many hazards with this type of transaction and often very stiff competition statewide by folks that buy up properties.

You really need to consult with a real estate attorney who is familiar with tax deed purchases who can help you navigate the treacherous waters.

1 user found this answer helpful

  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There are two ways:

1. Bid on the property at the Tax Deed Sale; or

2. Satisfy the requirements for Adverse Possession.

This is complicated either way you go (more complicated for #2). And there is no guarantee that you will be the winning bidder at the tax deed sale, or that you can satisfy the 3 statutory requirements (outright possession, filing a return with the tax collector, and payment of the real estate taxes for 7 consecutive years) of Adverse Possession.

See an attorney to determine if this is something you want to dive into.

1 user found this answer helpful

  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There is no DIY guide, you will need to hire an attorney, have a title search, survey, etc. done before doing anything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.