Danbury, CT asked in Civil Litigation and Probate for Connecticut

Q: In CT, is it mandatory to notify non-beneficiaries? Sending me details of uncle excluding me seems cruel & unnecessary.

He was widower with no children, no surviving siblings - but his will clearly denoted which nieces/nephews benefit (he left nothing to two of us - as was his right). But it is raising old family trauma to be sent probate notices and the will details. I've been suicidal as result (I have PTSD). This is the third exchange, can I sue to make them stop hurting me or for the harm they're causing to my health? They claim "it's the law" - is it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: In Connecticut certain family members are required notice parties. That means by law they are required to let you know about the documents filed in probate court. If you write a letter to the probate court and your families attorney explaining that you do not want to receive any further notices they should be able to take you off the list. Given that you have provided informed consent.

As always waiving your right to notice is a major decision and you should speak with a lawyer before you do so. It is impossible to defend your interests without having notice of what is going on. That being said from a mental health perspective if you have already decided not to pursue any legal rights, that you may or may not have, then a letter to the court asking to be removed from all future distribution notices should work.

You can probably not sue them for it b. The probate process is always stressful on families. Try not to take it too personally and consider speaking with a therapist if it is causing you this level of distress.

Disclaimer: The foregoing answer does not constitute legal advice, is provided for informational and educational purposes only for persons interested in the subject matter. Each situation is fact specific and may be subject to state specific laws. Without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem fully. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.