Portland, OR asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Oregon

Q: Seeking info on filing for POA/Guardianship of severely mentally handicapped/I'll brother, ODOC inmate

I have a severely mentally handicapped, as well as, severely mentally ill brother who is deaf and a current inmate of ODOC. Last year, a habeas corpus lawsuit was filed against DOC for cruel & unusual punishment. As of right now, a court hearing/trial date for this lawsuit is awaiting a set date for between Sept. & Oct. Of this year.

Due to the years he has suffered from abuse as well as extreme cruel & unusual punishment by ODOC Correctional Officers, his mental state is so gone he cannot perform regular everyday tasks such as tending to personal hygiene, simply writing a kyte to doc departments, etc...... He is a diagnosed schizophrenic who has been denied antipsychotic medication for the last 14 yrs. He is unable to comprehend anything above a 9 year old level and cannot make decisions on his own.

I want to file for a POA or Guardianship over him but do not know the steps needing to be taken or which one I am filing for & I am his only family member. There is more info

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You can't get step by step details how to do this posting on the internet. You need to hire a lawyer to help you with this. Hopefully you have money to do this but you could also contact legal aid if you need to. It sounds like he has an attorney helping him with the Habeus Corpus suit, at least I hope so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.