New York, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for Rhode Island

Q: Will a judge accept the 3 year clean record if I was a month away from 3 years clean?

I got a speeding citation (40 in a 30) towards the end of July. The officer told me about the out of state (I'm a MA driver) 3 year record defense. I checked my record and I was probably a little over a month away from 3 years at the time of citation. Would a judge reasonably accept the defense or is it a waste of time meaning I should just pay the citation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew T. Marin
Matthew T. Marin
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: In that situation I believe that it is worth the shot. While you may not be technically eligible for application of the Good Driving Statute, they Prosecutor and the Judge may give you some leeway since you are so close. As always, your best bet is with an experienced traffic court attorney by your side advocating for your.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.