Detroit, MI asked in Contracts, Copyright, Business Law and Intellectual Property for Michigan

Q: Is what I'm being requested to do legal? And, do I currently have the legal right/rights qualifying me to proceed?

I was asked by someone to make a number of hard(CD)copies of music for them. This request requires me to "rip" the content(given to me in CD format) on a computer and then burn the music onto the requested number of CDs( also provided to me). The requester(the commissioner) has told me that the music content I'm to be copying is their intellectual property(IP). The requester has also told me It is fine with them that I proceed to execute all actions stated prior to make the copies. Additionally, I was offered compensation(money) should I complete the request as well. I inquired if there was any kind of form to sign to legalize and record my actions, and to know my restrictions. The answer I believe I was given was that "it was not necessary"(not exact words). I am not a professional and I do not have a job in the field of music publication, or distribution. Nor do I have a license(if there is one) for doing these actions while meeting any standards.

1 Lawyer Answer
Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX

A: You may be at risk of committing copyright infringement if the person commissioning the project does not have the appropriate rights. If the commissioner does own the copyright to the content on the CDs, he should be willing to cover any loss you may incur from copying the content (indemnify you). An intellectual property attorney can prepare a contract to protect you from copyright infringement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.