Michigan Business Law Questions & Answers

Q: I have an MI LLC thats two years old with no activity or sales. received a letter that I owe $29k. What do I do!?

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Business Law for Michigan on
Answered on Mar 24, 2017

If the debt is owed by the LLC and not you personally, I assume that the LLC will not pay it. The creditor might assert a theory for your personal liability and seek to collect from you. I would need more information in order to assess the possible outcomes. If this is a tax bill as the category of your question indicates, there may be personal liability. Your question indicates that you "never did anything with it", but with a bill for $29k there must be a creditor who disagrees.
View Details »

Q: What can I do about a company who is charging me for services I never connected to and I threw away my paperwork.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Michigan on
Answered on Mar 23, 2017

Respond to AT&T by informing them that you dispute the debt and want to see evidence that you owe it. They should provide this because if they sue they will need to prove that you entered into a contract with them for services. If they do sue, you can dispute that you owe the money, but if they can prove the existence of a contract, your breach of the contract, and their entitlement to damages for breach of the contract, they may obtain a judgment against you.
View Details »

Q: my husband is part owner of LLC. God forbid, If something should happen to him, would i be entitled to his share?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Michigan on
Answered on Mar 19, 2017

Probably. It depends upon 1) whether he owns his membership imterest jointly with another person; 2) his estate plan; and 3) the terms of the operating agreement (such as whether there's a buy-sell provision. You have not provided enough information to enable me to answer definitively.
View Details »

Q: Real Estate Michigan

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Michigan on
Answered on Mar 2, 2017

Whether or not you get a 'receipt' or a statement really isn't relevant. Are the checks being cashed in such a way you can show they were negotiated? Is there a deed in escrow somewhere so that when you are done paying you will be easily able to get the deed recorded?

It sounds like you should bring ALL the paperwork and facts of the situation to a local real estate attorney to review so you know what is likely to happen and insure things are progressing properly.

-- This...
View Details »

Q: Our business vendor company contacted a debt collector and sued our Michigan based LLC in 2011 and garnished our bank a

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Michigan on
Answered on Feb 16, 2017

Presumably the LLC with a judgment against it is not "safe". But don't assume that your business can be protected by starting a new LLC like a snake shedding its skin.
View Details »

Q: I am a Member of a 2 member LLC, i am looking to buy out my partner with business funds. Is this legal? in Michigan

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Michigan on
Answered on Feb 6, 2017

All of that is possible, since an LLC is essentially a partnership in corporate form providing limitations on the personal liability of the members. Even a simple bill of sale would be sufficient documentation. The tax impact depends on the other member's "capital account," as for tax purposes all revenues/distributions from an LLC are taxed at the personal level, but are based on the LLC's accounting, which is not necessarily the same as cash/value received. On that issue, the other member...
View Details »

Q: I have an initial investor for my company. We agreed on a higher percentage share in the company for his investment...

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Michigan on
Answered on Jul 25, 2015

Securities laws are complicated. It's not a DIY project. Talk to an experienced local securities lawyer.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I...

Q: Michigan legal definition of paralegal

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Michigan on
Answered on Nov 30, 2013

Article 1, Section 6 of the Bylaws of the State Bar of Michigan:

Any person currently employed or retained by a lawyer, law office, governmental agency or other entity engaged in the practice of law, in a capacity or function which involves the performance under the direction and supervision of an attorney of specifically delegated substantive legal work, which work, for the most part, requires a sufficient knowledge of legal concepts such that, absent that legal assistant, the attorney...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.