Fredericksburg, VA asked in Divorce and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: If I receive child support no an I move to South Carolina do I have to notify the state I'm lea or going to?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You cannot just leave New Jersey without a Court Order granting you permission to leave, or you will have more trouble than you can possibly imagine. You need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney, to represent you and bring the appropriate motion to allow you permission to leave. To properly answer your questions and address your concerns, the best way to handle this is by retaining an experienced matrimonial attorney. You need the best attorney you can afford, do not let geographic considerations be a factor in your choice of an attorney. Pick the best lawyer you can find and remember one rule: a good lawyer is generally never cheap, and a cheap lawyer is generally never good so don't choose based on price.

Carol Jeney agrees with this answer

Carol Jeney
Carol Jeney
  • Scotch Plains, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Also, if the child's other parent agrees, you can enter into a Consent Order permitting you to leave the state without having to file an application with the court. You would just want to make absolutely that the order is drafted properly so that you are covered legally. However, I'm assuming that the other parent does not agree to your leaving the state with the child. The New Jersey Supreme Court just decided a case within the last couple of weeks that made new law regarding this issue. The standard the court must apply is "the best interests of the child".

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.