Chalmette, LA asked in Elder Law, Family Law, Domestic Violence and Real Estate Law for Louisiana

Q: My parents co-own a homer in Louisiana for five years..I have lived in that home

since it was purchased. What are my legal rights...can I be evicted from the home.? I am being threatened to be evicted by my mother's husband. He is physically and emotionally abusive to both of us what are our rights for protection against him.. My mom is her 80s and is currently a home bound hospital bed Home Health patient.

No I have not reported him to the APS or the police to this date but ....his abuse has been witness by several home health employees and other medical professionals who have been informed by family members of his abusive behavior.

What can I do to protect her finances as he is withdrawing large sums of money from their joint account without her consent which includes her social security and retirement income. There is no reason for him to be withdrawing this money. I realize it is a joint account but what happens when all the money is gone and she has nothing left to take care of herself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
William C. Head
William C. Head pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sandy Springs, GA

A: This is not a problem that a quick, online answer can do any good.

First, contact these listed Super Lawyers, to get someone to advise you. Some issues you raise are possibly not something you can prevent.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.