New York, NY asked in Divorce for Rhode Island

Q: Use of VA dependent education benefits for children's education and divorce

. I am a 100% disabled veteran. I have three daughters and have applied for the VA dependent education benefit (chapter 35) to pay for college expenses. My ex wife wants this to be applied to her half of the tuition that is due. E.g. We owe $8000 this year and instead of splitting that she wants to apply benefit and split remainder. Is this required by law? The benefit is to help me pay for dependents college as I cannot work. The money goes directly into an account for my children. Also, is there a time limit to which she is bound to for filing for relief from final judgement? It has been well over 1 year. While I understand child-support remains open... under what conditions would the judgement be amended? I've read court error, judge error, etc..Rhode Island residence

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: These are best discussed with your attorney in private after a careful review of your court orders and agreements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.