Portland, OR asked in Traffic Tickets for Oregon

Q: In Oregon, for a trial by declaration for a traffic violation is my written declaration subject to discovery?

I requested discovery for the officer's notes and they asked for 'reverse-discovery' from me. I hope that clears up the ambiguity.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hajarizadeh
Michael Hajarizadeh
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Your question is a bit ambiguous. It isn't so much a matter of discovery as it is that your declaration would be considered your testimony, and it isn't going to be hidden from the opposing party. If you are asking if you should send a copy of your declaration to the opposing side (law enforcement) for a violation trial by declaration, then the answer is no, you are only obligated to send it to the court, but the opposing party is entitled to view it. So for instance, if the citing officer was unable to appear and wrote a declaration and submitted it to the court within the allowable time frame (often mentioned on the back of your citation) then the defendant would be able to receive a copy, or view that declaration. In my experience, law enforcement rarely writes declarations, usually choosing to appear at hearings even if the defendant files a declaration.

Many times the court would provide a copy of the declaration to the opposing party at the time of the trial if one party appears.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.