Medford, OR asked in Sexual Harassment and Criminal Law for Oregon

Q: Can a man still be charged for statutory rape if he had sexual intercouse when the girl was a minor but she is now 18?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hajarizadeh
Michael Hajarizadeh
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The simple answer is yes. Usually, A crime is committed when the act occurs not when the charges are brought. As a hypothetical, Say a person A takes a pack of gum from the grocery store jan 1. On feb 2 the store goes out of business and mar. 1 the state files charges against Person A. They filed charges within the period time allowed by law and it doesn't matter that the victim isn't a store anymore, its the owner trying to get back some gum money. The crime occurred at the time the act occurred.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.