Seattle, WA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: I was accused of pushing my disabled my disabled spouse what happens next

Someone accused me of pushing my wife. Both my wife and i are disabled. Aps came into our home and interviewed both she and I. later on, the same day, the cops were called, and did a wellness check. They said, " no sign of abuse." What happens next?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Powers
Jason Powers pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: The next step is for a prosecutor to review the case for a charging decision. That can be quick or a lengthy period of time. If the decision is made to prosecute you will receive notice in the mail. This notice will tell you in which court to appear and what charges you face. If the prosecutor decides not to charge, they do not have to inform you. APS could also act and try to keep your spouse away if they believe she is at risk. I recommend you speak to an attorney who could inquire about the criminal referral and to protect yourself from APS if they do something.

Michael Andrew Taub agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.