Asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: I was married for 8 years, have two kids and my ex decided to leave me. She wants 2600(both Al & CS).Is That too much?

She has a masters degree and is going back to work September 7th. She is going to make $65,000 a year to start back up but will progress to $100,000+ in two years. She's been out of work raising our 6 and 4 year olds for the last 6 years. I make around 150,000 a year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Natasha Mazur
Jessica Natasha Mazur
  • Red Bank, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. Calculating support can be complicated and knowing the nuances of the child support guidelines and the alimony statute can result in significant differences in support. Without more details, I'll have to keep my response general in nature. Also, you should not give many details about such a private topic on this public forum, so please reach out to schedule a consultation if you want more information.

There are a number of factors that are taken into consideration in calculating child support including but not limited to: overnight visits, health insurance, union dues, mandatory retirement contributions, payment/receipt of alimony, etc. Without knowing this information or information regarding the appropriate imputation of income and the reason she is expected to earn more in two years, I cannot weight in on the appropriateness of the support amount.

I wish I could have been of more assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.