Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: my 13 year old sister wants to live with my husband and I. Can I get custody of her since I'm not the mother?

She lives with her grandfather on her dads side. My mom is not around and does not have any custody over her. She tells us herself she wants to live with us. She will be 13 in November and I just want to know that I have a chance if we do this!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Joseph T Ireland
Mr. Joseph T Ireland
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: What county do you live in and what county does your sister live in? You should contact a local attorney to discuss all the relevant facts. It is possible but depends highly on a number of specific facts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.