Crowley, LA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Employment Law for Louisiana

Q: can my police chief fire me for turning him in for theft?

i'm a lieutenant in a small police department in south Louisiana. i exposed my police chief of theft and maleficence, he was arrested and also admitted to the theft. he is awaiting his trial but remains police chief until then. at this time, he has taken my police cruiser and has blocked me from receiving 911 dispatches making it almost impossible to help the people of my town and to do the duty i was sworn to do. now he is threatening to fire me and take my badge, i did my job by exposing a thief and now i may lose my badge, is that legal? if he fires me, is there anything i can do to counter his actions? please advise.....

1 Lawyer Answer
William C. Head
William C. Head pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sandy Springs, GA

A: You have rights, relating to wrongful discharge. Contact me, for a referral, if it occurs. He will be gone soon, and may retaliate.

William Head


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.