Denver, CO asked in Civil Rights, Juvenile Law, Sexual Harassment and Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: Can a parent press charges on a 19yo boy if he has sex with their daughter (17yo) when the legal age of consent is 17?

So the parent says they will put whoever has sex with their daughter in jail but once the daughter turns 17 which is the legal age of consent in colorado can they still do that?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: As far as statutory rape goes, you are correct that at 17 inability to consent (due to age) is waived. With the 2 year age gap, there would also be additional safe harbor provisions related to statutory rape in Colorado.

Statutory rape is not the only issue. Parents have been known to encourage their children to say that consent was not granted (even if it may have been at the time).

In other words, proceed at your own risk...

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.