Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Colorado Civil Rights Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Contracts for Colorado on

Q: Looking for a Civil Attorney. Left leg amputated. Not get a fair trial exculpatory evidence held from the jury.

Timur Akpinar answered on Jun 9, 2019

It looks like you are seeking an attorney for what appears to be an appeal matter. Do not wait to be contacted by attorney. That isn't the way this board works. It is for posting legal questions. You can seek out attorneys, but you can't sit and wait to be contacted by one based on a post.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Legal Malpractice for Colorado on

Q: I was decieved, lured in, driven to an unknown location, held,questioned, and left there. What should I do?

Brian K. McHugh answered on Apr 10, 2019

Not enough information provided. For starters, who did these things to you?

3 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: My ex gave me a dog as a Christmas present. We lived together with the dog for 3 years, He's claiming rights to her now.

After he gave her to me I paid all the vet bills, micro chipping, injuries, dog food etc... She was bought off Craig's list in cash by his mother. I have her in my possession now but I'm scared of what he's capable of doing now. We originally made a verbal agreement to share her but he changed his... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Apr 2, 2019

If he gave her to you, then she’s yours. The only way he can legally get her back and keep her is if he takes you to court and wins. If you have all other documents in your name then you will have a good chance at court if he takes you to court.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado on

Q: Does mngmnt have the right to go on to our property, or, at wat point can code enforcement just go without notice?

The manger is trying something stuff to us that isn't right

Donald C Eby answered on Mar 31, 2019

Code enforcement is outside of the control of your landlord.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: I have gotton a ticket from a forest service officer in november 2018 for putting my gate back up he told me that i d

That i didnt have any right doing that the property has been in the family for years my father bought it from grandma back in 1970 he payed for a title insurace and water rights and back then the insurance policy took claim to the road so now sit waiting i havent been in front of a judge yet it... Read more »

Donald C Eby answered on Feb 10, 2019

This could be complicated, I recommend that you at least spend some time with an attorney to review your title work and other documents to assess the validity of your defense prior to going before the court.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Colorado on

Q: Can the police illegally enter my home and take my husband's 2 service animals and sell them through the Humane Society?

They are licensed in his name and we were both illegally incarcerated when this was done. The police came in unannounced and attacked my disabled husband with complete disregard for repeated statements about his medical conditions. We were refused medical treatment on video by the officer who... Read more »

Juliet Piccone answered on Jan 29, 2019

This is not the type of question that can be answered without more information. I would highly recommend that you contact an attorney who handles these matters on a regular basis. In general, when a disabled person is incarcerated the police can impound service dogs unless the disabled person's... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: how do i get help

Friends parents pulled his bond because he was acting crazy , he has schizophrenia and depression , hes been wasting away in the holding cell for a week , he refuses to be booked and to be advised so they just leave him . I need to get him out now , please tell me what i can do

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 31, 2018

Hire an attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on

Q: What does the nature and complexity of the action mean?What does potential Merit of claims or defense mean?

Timur Akpinar answered on Oct 12, 2018

I don’t practice in Colorado, but your question hasn’t been picked up for three weeks. Here are some answers for your questions. The nature of an action means how it might be characterized. For instance, is it a contract claim involving a business dispute? Is it a tort claim for negligence or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado on

Q: I rent a town home the lease is in my name only and i rented out a room and roomates havent paid rent its been 24 days?

How do i go about getting them out

Donald C Eby answered on Sep 25, 2018

You are the sub-Landlord they are the Sub-Tenants. You'll need to evict through the judicial eviction process. The first step is a proper Demand for Rent or Possession.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Colorado on

Q: If a disabled man gets forcibly removed from his home and then beat and choked, can I defend him?

My disabled neighbor got pulled out of his home and then beat and choked by his daughters boyfriends dad.

I heard the noise and thought it was my sister getting beat so I ran over and opened the fence and saw the disabled man being choked and turning blue. I asked the aggressor to stop and... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Sep 14, 2018

And after you saw this man committing a horrible crime you didn't report it to the police. Unbelievable!

So next time when you are not around he is free to do it again

3 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Colorado on

Q: Can you get in trouble for lying to police in order to press charges on somone?

A group of people lied to police in order to press charges on my husband for battery.

We have proof they lied.

Can we press charges back on them for defamation or anything else?

Brian K. McHugh answered on Sep 10, 2018

It is a crime to knowingly give false information to a peace officer.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: IF my husband moved out and i moved can he force his right to stay if not on lease at new house?

I live in colorado springs. My husband chose to move out of our home to be with his 22 year old cousins girlfriend. HE came back and tried to force his way in so he and his girlfriend can live in the guest bedroom. I called the cops. PD stated that even if i move and the only one on the lease at... Read more »

John Hyland Barrett III answered on Sep 4, 2018

I do not agree with what the police told you. Perhaps they thought he had lived there before. However, it seems they will not help you. You should file for a divorce so the court can enter orders re this property. You should retain an attorney to help you with this.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: I left my laptop that I’m still making payments on at my ex’s House and he pawned it what can I do to get it back

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 13, 2018

Get the pawn ticket from him and buy it out of pawn before the time elapses.

Report it to the police as stolen. In Florida there are specific laws requiring the pawn shop to allow you to buy it out without the ticket.

I do not know the laws in Colorado. Nonetheless, I believe time...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: my husbands ex and her friends have been harassing me through those fake texting apps and those prank calling apps

she's also been texting and calling herself and emailing my husband framing and slandering me for past 3 years her ex friend recently sent me an email admitting to it being them doing all this stuff including keying my car, sitting outside my house when i lived in new york and a lot of other stuff... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 5, 2018


1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado on

Q: My landlord wants to show the house we live in to perspective tentative but we haven’t given him an actual written or

Verbal 30 day notice. Do we have to allow him to bring strangers in our house we rent. My husband is military and hasn’t received his orders but we’re being told we will be relocating also our lease isn’t up until May 31, 2018. The only way my landlord knew we are possibly relocating is... Read more »

Timothy Canty answered on Apr 24, 2018

Your lease will usually address the times that a landlord may enter for specific purposes. If not, the law gives him a reasonable time and right to show the place to new tenants. A little respect on both sides will help make this go smoother. As a last resort, a judge can decide what is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Colorado on

Q: Can I file a police report on my dogs that a KS federal judge ruled in fact were state conversion but now in CO?

Civil rights violation case judge ruled that while I was wrongfully arrested imprisoned on no bail hold never going before a judge the entire 19 days that my dogs were in a state of conversion they kept there where abouts withheld from me and I was lied to daily about my dogs the judge subpoenaed... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Mar 27, 2018

No, the police in KS do not have jurisdiction in Colorado and the the Colorado police will consider it a civil matter. You would have to sue the Colorado shelter. But there is case law in CO that says that if the dogs were adopted out to a bona fife third party (meaning a purchaser who didn’t... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: My cat was temporarily/indefinitely in my mothers care (for personal reasons per our agreement) but now wont return her

a year and a half ago, I became homeless and was undergoing a major financial hardship, so I asked my mother to temporarily (and indefinitely) care for my cat (2 yrs old at the time) while I got back on my feet; she agreed. 3 days after my cat was in her home, she told me she was not giving her... Read more »

Juliet Piccone answered on Feb 6, 2018

You can sue your mother for replevin. Unfortunately that is exactly what I had to do for a client whose mother refused to return her dog to her. We were able to get the dog back.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: Can an establishment, such as fast-casual restaurants, discriminate against age?

My mother is 42 years old and had an interview at Qdoba Mexican Grill in Colorado Springs, CO. They told her she was too old for the job and sent her home. It is my understanding that this is not legal, is this true?

Adam Kielich answered on Jan 21, 2018

It is unlawful for a business to discriminate against applicants over the age of forty on the basis of the applicant's age. An employer may be liable to an applicant refused a job on the basis of age if the employer employs more than the minimum threshold under federal and state law. Your mother... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Animal / Dog Law for Colorado on

Q: Someone took and sold my puppy without permission after being turned away by police what do I do to get puppy back

Juliet Piccone answered on Oct 13, 2017

This is a civil matter. You need to consult with an animal attorney with experience in suing to get your dog back. I have handled dozens of such cases.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on

Q: Borrowed money to my still husband

My husband and I have been separated for a year and we are now just filing for divorce. During our separation he was Going through tough time and I borrowed him over $2600 . He now refuses to pay me back and I only have text messages to prove that I borrowed him the money. We only had an oral... Read more »

Elle J. Byram answered on Sep 21, 2017

Oral contracts can be valid so long as they satisfy the statute of frauds. I believe yours would satisfy the statute of fraud. The texts messages may actually give you a written contract depending on what is stated in them and whether the essential terms are there - I.e. The amount you loaned him... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.