Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: Can a sheriff department deny an inmate any and all phone calls? I was told my son has not " earned" phone privileges.
James W Newby
James W Newby answered on May 4, 2022

You are not the first person to be confused by the inmate phone system. First off, the inmate must call you. You cannot call the inmate. Calls are not free so payment must be arranged for the inmate to call you.

If you deposit money online in the INMATE ACCOUNT then they have the freedom...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Colorado on
Q: Whats the process in sueing an attorney for misconduct in the state of Colorado?

Court appointed atty for Child Protective Services is the 2 atty that displayed misconduct. The proof comes in the form of the attys text messages & emails along with the behavior in which they displayed and the verbal things that were said to the client

Stephen Birk Baumgartner
Stephen Birk Baumgartner answered on Apr 14, 2022

This may be a professional misconduct referral. There is not enough information here to discern whether this is a legal malpractice issue, or a breach of professional ethics. If this is an ethics issue, then you should make a complaint to the Office of Attorney Regulation COunsel. If this is an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Colorado on
Q: Can I sue someone for breaking my car window. Even though it’s been over a month?

Hi. It is 2-21-22. On 1-12-22. An intoxicated passenger of mine ripped out my manual cranks for both back windows. After rolling down the windows. Then got out and took my door and slammed 3 times hard enough until the window shattered inside the door. I didn’t call the police on account I had... Read more »

Kevin Michael Strait
Kevin Michael Strait answered on Feb 21, 2022

In Colorado, yes you can sue someone for money to compensate you for damage to your vehicle. Colorado counties have general district courts that will allow small claims lawsuits. Colorado statutes § 13-6-403 limit the claims in small claims court to $7,500 total. Your claim for money owed by this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Colorado on
Q: my sister still lives with our highly abusive mother. how can I legally get her out of there.

We have a lot of evidence of gaby (mom) abusing me and my dad. Plenty court cases and files. Her record is far beyond damaged. Theres no reason as to why my sister has to stay with her. We don't have too much evidence of abuse towards my sister which is the problem. However, im not living with... Read more »

Stephen Birk Baumgartner
Stephen Birk Baumgartner answered on Jan 5, 2022

I am very sorry you are going through this. This is definitely a complicated family law question. However, if you suspect abuse of your sister, then you should call the Department of Human Services, Child Protection Division, and possibly the police. The answer to how you get her out of there... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: Needing to find a lawyer for wrongful termination, discrimination and retaliation against a company policy. HELP?!

I was just terminated due to violating company policies. Supervison stated I wasn’t following their company credit card policy procedures due to one transaction I had that was over $150,000 when another director(manager) was there during this transaction as well. The policies were never explained... Read more »

Niran Grimberg
Niran Grimberg answered on Oct 3, 2021

A lot more needs to be known regarding your situation in order to assess whether you have any legally actionable claims. I highly recommend you have a free consultation with an employment attorney so see whether you have been discriminated or retaliated against for any unlawful reasons.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: In Colorado is an officer allowed to enter your vehicle after it's been locked after you've been taken to police station

Officer entered through sunroof search my vehicle per witness in a store they thought was closed

Philip M Smith
Philip M Smith answered on Aug 10, 2021

Not without probable cause and some exigent circumstance, a search warrant, or consent.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: If I bought a dog from somebody and they weren't up to date on the shots and I wanted to return the dog and get a refund

And is it illegal to sell a dog without up-to-date shots to somebody

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Jun 9, 2021

Depending on where the dog came from, it is very likely a PACFA violation. Age could also be a problem (a dog sold too young (i.e., less than 8 weeks old) to receive certain shots is a violation - although dogs do not have all their shots at 8 weeks due to boosters being necessary over a period of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Colorado on
Q: Am I experiencing pregnancy discrimination when being forced to take a 60k pay cut or immediately take FMLA?

I am currently 6.5 months pregnant, and have been granted an accommodation by my workplace to complete my work remotely for the duration of my pregnancy. In January, during my first trimester, I started to experience severe motion sickness that limited my ability to complete my 45 minute drive to... Read more »

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert answered on Apr 28, 2021

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, people with disabilities (including pregnancy and related side effects) are permitted to request reasonable accommodations to enable them to perform their jobs while honoring their restrictions. However, the accommodation must be reasonable, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: if I was never pulled over for speeding but was arrested charged for speeding & other charges is this Legal?

Parked at a gas station to pee and cop pulls next to me in my car and get out and goes in store before I get out. But he was looking at my car all suspiciously so I waited. He stands at the door inside the store then comes back out flashing his lights in my car and come and bangs on my window and... Read more »

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Mar 12, 2021

This sounds like a terrible scenario that you experienced. So sorry you lived through that.

If you were parked and only stopped because of suspicion that you committed a traffic infraction - an infraction for which the officer's story is not credible if he waited a significant amount...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: What can I do to be able to install a more suitable fence for my special needs child? When HOA has fence regulations.

I am purchasing my first home, after signing the purchase agreement we were told that HOA only allows a 4 ft fence. The fence is pretty climb-able and open so I was told we could add chicken wire. This still would not work for us because my 5 yr old special needs child is autistic/wanderer and can... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Mar 6, 2021

You may want to make a "reasonable accommodation" request to your HOA, if this is denied you'll need to get an attorney involved.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Family Law for Colorado on
Q: If court order is not modifiy or stipulations were not filed is it a civil case?
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Mar 6, 2021

It would be important to know what type of case it is. Courts have subject matter jurisdiction over certain subjects so it is not possible to determine what type of case it is based on whether there is a motion to modify some unspecified thing and there were no stipulations filed.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: CPS is lying and won't give our kids back. The judge is going along with it. They have missed appointments.

They have caused us to miss visits by scheduling then on holidays and during a dental appointment we wasn't allowed to attend as promised. I need help proving this and someone that will stand up for we are being violated our children's rights are being violated

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Dec 11, 2020

The general statement of things that you have provided here certainly seems unfair and should consult with a lawyer so that they can learn more details about your situation and advise you on your best options/defenses. There is not information in this post to adequately respond to your concerns... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: What if somebody makes up lies that my child's life is in danger to be granted emergency guardianship to my child.

The lies were proven in court and judge told her to return the child and she did not. She hid my child causing her to not be able to attend school, I thought my child might be dead. At contempt hearing the judge said there was not an order even though I have a recording of him saying it and last... Read more »

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Nov 30, 2020

First off, I am so sorry you're experiencing this.

Now, unfortunately, what you've written here is a bit confusing and inconsistent. On one hand, you're saying that there was a formal contempt order from the court, but on the other hand you're saying the same judge...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: Wondering about colorado's stance on "antique firearms" and if an adult under 21 can purchase an "antique" revolver.

Wondering if its legal to obtain, and carry, at 18 or under 21 considering, antique firearms are not recognized as actual firearms on the federal level. Want to make sure this is the case in CO as well as I can't find any laws excluding or including such firearms in colorado law.

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Nov 30, 2020

The answer to your question is: it depends. It depends on what "antique" gun means. Someone would need more information as to the style and structure of the gun to see if it meets the legal definition requirements for a "handgun." In Colorado, any person under age 18 may not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: What does this mean; Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution - Title 18 US Code 1073?

I have a warrant in Colorado for not showing up to their court for a hearing about restitution. I was coerced into a deferred sentence and given a restitution and misdemeanor. These people never intended to treat me fairly. I have never been a resident of Colorado. I was just driving through and... Read more »

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Nov 10, 2020

First off, I am sorry this happened to you. It sounds like your experience while the case was open was pretty difficult and that your experiences afterward have continued to be difficult.

That said, if you agreed to restitution and a restitution hearing was set for whatever reason, then...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Colorado on
Q: A police officer was called out on a complaint, turned out to be civil. He performed a NCIC on the spot.

Found an outstanding warrant for me in FL. He threatened to arrest me if we returned to the property. This left us homeless, immediately, literally, and we lost most of our possessions that were left after moving due to COVID. We are now destitute. Was this legal for this officer to do this to me?

Mr.  H. Michael Steinberg
Mr. H. Michael Steinberg answered on Aug 27, 2020

I am very sorry for your situation but the short answer is yes - if the question is can the officer ran a criminal history on someone he legally contacts. If the warrant was out of state and a felony - he most likely would have arrested you and held you for extradition. Most often - when the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Colorado on
Q: How do i remove a felony charge that i shouldn't have been charged with according to the definition of the law used?

in 2002 i was charged in colorado for possession/knowledge of possession of explosives/incendiary device, but the definition section of that law discredits the materials my roommate had (materials used to reload ammunition, and or black powder muskets) my public defenders failed me and mislead me... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jul 25, 2020

You may qualify to have your Criminal Record Sealed. See the below link for more info:

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Family Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: For the last year I have been dealing with my boyfriend’s ex. I have dealt with defamation and lies she makes up on

social media. She constantly makes various profiles to try and contact me and has added my friends and family. Over the last year she has sent people to break my car windows on 4 separate occasions, yet the police say that the video footage is not enough to connect the vandalism to her. I would... Read more »

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Jul 16, 2020

It depends on the nature of the communications. As for the photos, you would have to connect her to the damage somehow.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: I was arrested on charges of harrasment and disorderly conduct based off of witness statements.

I feel there was no reasonable cause for an arrest to be made. The statements were false and I did not bother anyone in the building. The charges were dissmised in the interest of Justice. I am wondering if I have a potential case to sue for damages, economic losses, and non economic losses?

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jul 14, 2020

Potentially yes. These cases can be difficult. So you should consult with an attorney to discuss the facts, the law, your rights, remedies, potential outcomes, etc.

Q: An interviewer of a fortune 500 company told me i couldnt do the job because of my disability
Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Jun 10, 2020

Your question does not provide enough detail to analyze whether this would violate the law. If you are an otherwise qualified individual who was not offered the position because of your disability, then you may have a claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act. However, you would not be... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.