Asked in Family Law, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: Do I have recourse on getting a deed?

My house sold at public auction (foreclosure) yesterday, Sept 5th. The deed is in my wife's name and she abandoned the property about six months ago exclaiming that she wanted nothing else to do with the house and that I could have it as I am still in the house and don't want to loose it. This was new to us, neither one ever having been through this. My brother will give me the money to pay it off but will not do so unless my wife signs a document that she will deed the house over to me.

What recourse do I have to obtaining the deed if she refuses to give it to me?

We are not legally separated nor have filed any paperwork on that matter.

Is there anything at all that I can do as I'm 79 years old and simply do not want to loose my house that we've worked so hard to pay off to have something to fall back on as well as setting up a trust for our grandsons education.

Someone please help.


1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If the house sold at public auction then likely the deed is no longer in your wife's name and the only way you will get that house back is to negotiate a purchase from the current owner. As to being legally separated - in NC there is no such thing as legally separated. You are simply either separated or you are not. So if you and you wife do not live together and at least one of you has the intention not to resume the marital relationship - you are as 'legally separated' as you ever will be.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.