Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Alabama

Q: Can I seek justice for a wrongful arrest?

I was arrested on a felony charge and spent 7 hours in a county jail before my release. To my knowledge i have to see judge before being released. When I asked why was they releasing me they claimed to be an error in the system

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: The question is, were you charged with anything? Is there still a pending charge? If you were arrested, and the arresting authority then released you and did not charge you because they confused you with someone else, you will generally have to prove that the officer who arrested you acted unreasonably. If you will supply some facts here, I or someone else can give you a more specific answer. If you were arrested because they acted reasonably and confused you with some other person and then found out that they had the wrong person and released you -- you will have a hard time making a case for false arrest. The reasonableness of the actions of the officers who arrested you is the key fact.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.