Temecula, CA asked in Business Law for California

Q: I just started my own company and I have found out my old employer is telling my vendors if they sell to me he will

pull his business from them. Basically threatening them. Is this legal, or do I have legal action against him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda M. Rokita
Amanda M. Rokita pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your former employer engaged in wrongful acts (misrepresentation, libel), you may have a valid claim for interference with prospective economic relations

A claim for interference with prospective economic relations requires the plaintiff to prove:

1) The plaintiff and a third party were in an economic relationship that probably would have resulted in an economic benefit to the plaintiff

2) The Defendant knew of the relationship between the plaintiff and the third party

3) Defendant intended to disrupt the relationship

4) Defendant engaged in wrongful acts (Some examples of a wrongful act—fraud, misrepresentation, libel, violation of a statute)

5) The relationship was actually disrupted

6) Plaintiff suffered economic harm

7) The defendant’s wrongful conduct was a substantial factor in causing the plaintiff’s harm

Please note that this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you seek further guidance with your issue, I suggest you contact an attorney who will learn more facts about your situation and properly advise you on how to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.