Springville, AL asked in Estate Planning, International Law and Probate for Alabama

Q: Hi, my Aunt passed 5 years ago. The money was supposed to go to Syria, my family there couldn't accept it.

The attorney and executor insists that they sent the money to Syria, however there is no paper trail. The money and a substantial amount of property has been sold and money has disappeared in the hands of the attorney and executor. What legal rights do my siblings and I have? What do we need to do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: It sounds like a tough situation and the options really depend on a lot of facts about the case that cannot be efficiently conveyed here. In general if there was an Executor, I would assume there was an estate administration in the probate court. That court has/had jurisdiction over the assets and the Executor. The record of that court would be a great starting point. If the estate was not officially closed, the beneficiaries could request an accounting from the Executor. As you can see, there are a lot of "what ifs" and it might be a good idea to take the time to have a thorough consultation with an attorney. Whatever the answer might be, a consultation will at least give you some piece of mind.

This response is general information only. I do not have enough information to provide a specific answer to your situation. Further, this response is not intended to form an attorney client relationship. If you have questions about your legal rights, please consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.