Ask a Question

Get free answers to your International Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Alabama International Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, International Law and Probate for Alabama on
Q: What does a legal opinion for the purpose of UK/US inheritance entail and what should it cost? How would we find one?

Late grandmother domiciled in Alabama until death. She had both UK and US assets but only a UK will leaving it to immediate family. UK courts requesting legal opinion from US solicitor before proceeding with granting probate. US court already determined UK grandchildren (last remaining immediate... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 19, 2024

Based on the details provided, here are some pointers on obtaining a US legal opinion for this UK/US inheritance situation:

• The UK court is likely looking for confirmation from a US attorney that the Alabama will is valid and enforceable to distribute the US assets per that will's...
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and International Law for Alabama on
Q: Can a management company run the HOA meeting in AL
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Aug 6, 2023

In general, the ability of a management company to run a Homeowners Association (HOA) meeting may depend on the provisions in the HOA's governing documents and applicable state law in Alabama. It is advisable to consult with an attorney familiar with Alabama HOA laws to determine the rights... View More

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Alabama on
Q: How do I find out if I have escrow account in my name .? Or IMF in my name...?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 23, 2019

Ordinarily, a bank provides accountholders with some sort of paperwork when they open the account; that's generally the way it works with attorneys opening escrow or IOLA accounts. If you're talking about an account that you're not aware of (possibly suggesting that an account was... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and International Law for Alabama on
Q: Once my son’s father is served can he leave the country to go home, India. Can his bank be levied, Works at Pay Pal.

He makes 175 k per year.

Bank account 100k +, business share hold in India, property holder in India.

He works in California Pay Pal

He is here on a H1B visa

He mails milk and diapers

He advised if I file he will book tickets same day he is served.... View More

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Aug 23, 2018

Is this an Alabama matter?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, International Law and Probate for Alabama on
Q: Hi, my Aunt passed 5 years ago. The money was supposed to go to Syria, my family there couldn't accept it.

The attorney and executor insists that they sent the money to Syria, however there is no paper trail. The money and a substantial amount of property has been sold and money has disappeared in the hands of the attorney and executor. What legal rights do my siblings and I have? What do we need to do?

Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney
answered on Sep 15, 2017

It sounds like a tough situation and the options really depend on a lot of facts about the case that cannot be efficiently conveyed here. In general if there was an Executor, I would assume there was an estate administration in the probate court. That court has/had jurisdiction over the assets and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Estate Planning and International Law for Alabama on
Q: Any special considerations in willing foreign property.

If a spouse has foreign property and dies, and wants to leave it to the other spouse, are there any special verbiage or statements that should be in that spouses Will to support any potential issues with the foreign government/courts (i.e. Romania) where the land/house is?

Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney
answered on Feb 6, 2017

When I have had clients who owned property in another country, I have advised them to have a valid Will in this country that addresses the specific gift AND a Will valid in the country where the property is located. The distribution of foreign owned property will be dictated and handled pursuant... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.