Los Angeles, CA asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Family Law and Estate Planning for California

Q: How can I appoint someone custody of my son, in the event of my death?

My son is 3 years old, his father has not seen him since he was only a few months old. Father is in and out of jail, multiple felonies and misdemeanors for identity theft, dui, check fraud, and possession to name a few. I might add that he also has 2 other sons that he does not have custody/visitation of. As far as grandparents go, the most normal one is my father in MA, but even he has some issues. (He lost custody/visitation of me to my mother for physical abuse, but was . My best friends have been married since high school, together for almost 20 years, a very stable household, father works for the city/stay at home mom, and two kids. They have been my parenting mentors, and are the only ones I would trust not only to not abuse, but raise my son the most loving, kind, and structured way possible. They already have told me they will take him in the event of my death, however I need to ENSURE that my son will not end up with a junkie, alcoholics, or anyone who may physical abuse him.

1 Lawyer Answer
Patricia Ann Brinkley
Patricia Ann Brinkley
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • North Las Vegad, NV
  • Licensed in California

A: You can designate a guardian for your minor son in your will or living trust. However, that person would need to petition the court in a guardianship proceeding in order to be appointed the guardian. Your nomination of that person carries significant weight with the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.