Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: can I get custody of my half sister

My birth mom (I'm adopted) is due to have a daughter (my half sister) in 3 weeks. She is homeless with her boyfriend and also has schizophrenia along with HEP C. They have no items for the baby and no way to take care of her. I am 20 with my own child and I was wondering if there is a way to get custody. I don't want her to end up in foster care like I did or for us to be separated. We all live in Oklahoma.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Perkins
Jason Perkins
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • El Reno, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: In the state of Oklahoma the judge is required to take into account the best interest of the child. I would recommend that you hire a lawyer to help you show to the courts how it is in the best interest of the child to be with you. It will be a heavy burden to overcome the presumption that the child is better off with the parents but if it is as you say it might be possible to overcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.