Seattle, WA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Washington

Q: My husband & I have lived with my husband's grandparents for 4 years. The house is willed to their son.

Do we have any rights to stay after they pass away? We currently live there.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: Probably not. The only way I can think of would be if they conveyed some real property interest in the house to you during their lives. This could be a lease agreement (written) or a term of years or a life estate or several other types of interest. Other than a lease, these other arrangements are a little out of the ordinary. So you probably have no right or interest that would be enforceable against the other family. You should speak with an experienced probate or real estate lawyer in your area to be sure. They will know the questions to ask to determine whether you have any rights in your situation. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Good luck.

PS: My comments here are for general information only and are not legal advice about your particular situation nor do my comments create an attorney-client relationship between us. Contact an attorney in your state for legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.