Charlotte, NC asked in Family Law, Child Support and Civil Rights for North Carolina

Q: How can I terminate paternal rights?

I am having a baby with a girl that says she is moving overseas with her army boyfriend and they will terminate rights while I still have to pay childsupport they will also not let me sign the birth certificate. I want nothing to do with her or the baby what are my rights in terminating my paternal rights without her here?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: None - you don't get to terminate your parental rights unilaterally. the easiest way for your rights to be terminated is for her to sucker the Army boyfriend into marrying her and adoption the child. It would require your consent but it would end your obligation to pay child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.