Brooklyn, NY asked in Juvenile Law and Personal Injury for New York

Q: My son won a lawsuit.The money was placed in a bank account til he's18.he's 17 wants a car.will court release money befo

My son was injured in an Indoor skate park.

My son won the case and was awarded money that was placed into a bank account until he turns 18. My son will be 17 next month ,he has a drivers permit and will go for his license or junior license (I honestly don't know how that goes)

He wants a starter car to get to school and work

Will the judge release money for a car?

I spoke to the lawyer who represented my son . I told him I want to ask the court to release some of the money to repair my sons tooth that's broke , to pay for his football gear/equipment as he's on the schools football team and to pay for equipment for his hobby as he loves music and making beats/songs.

How long does it take for the court o decide if they'll release any money?

Do they usually release money before the child turns 18?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Barry Eran Janay
Barry Eran Janay
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You need to carefully review the Infant Compromise Order and then determine what expenses the amount awarded before he reaches the age of the majority. If the custodian of the funds (usually you the parent) cannot access the funds beforehand for these purposes you may need to contact a guardian or trustee that has been appointed by the court. You may also need to seek a modified Order, but in reality the easiest and most cost effective thing to do would be to just give your son a loan that he can repay from the award once the funds are accessible in approx. 1 year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.