West Orange, NJ asked in Divorce and Entertainment / Sports for New Jersey

Q: My friend's divorce procedure has been in court for almost a decade. What can she do?

I'm asking this question on behalf of a dear friend. She is a woman whom the state of New York has declared disabled. She has gone though two brain surgeries. In the years the trial has dragged on the arrears owed by her husband (who works in the entertainment industry) has amassed to $200,000. The judge has decreed this and yet has failed to enforce this decree. It is apparent that she (the judge) is enamored of his show business fame. What can my friend do to secure the monies owed? Her continued survival depends upon making this happen.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Hello and thanks for asking your question for a friend. It is a shame that this situation has dragged on for so long and it is surely something that should be avoided if at all possible. It is really very difficult to answer you with an great specificity without knowing all the ins and outs of your friend's case, and I'm sure the case is very extensive at this point.

A good attorney would be one who has your friend in for a consult and asks her to bring in her file with her, so ALL of the details can be reviewed. This most likely will take more than one session as I am sure there are lots of motions that were filed, etc. that were the cause of this case taking so long.

I'm not sure if your friend already has an attorney, but if she does, suggest she sit down with him or her to come up with a good strategizing session. If she has been representing herself, the time has for sure come were she go and talk with someone about this. Of course, there truly may be no good or easy answer. But, it certainly is worth a try to at least get an attorney's eyes on this.

Many attorneys offer free consults as we do. Wishing her the best of luck. Hope this was at least a bit helpful. Regards, Bari

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.