Spokane, WA asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Constitutional Law for Washington

Q: Can I sue Walmart?

Last summer I was arrested for a crime that occurred at a Walmart store.I told them I didn't do it but the clerk positively identified me. I was arrested and did a week in one jail where I was beaten up and my two front teeth knotted out I also had blood in my urine. Then I was finally bailed out by my parents. I have been going to court every sense They said they have a videotape and I asked them to please review the video. After I left court today my lawyer called me and asked me to meet him in front of the courthouse.He said he wanted to look at my right forearm because in the video they could see the person that did this had a tattoo on his arm.After looking at my arm my lawyer said I didn't need to come back to court and the prosecutor said he had enough of this case. Now, what can I sue anyone?

1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You may have a valid claim against Walmart for false arrest and related claims. You should contact an attorney in your area to determine whether your claim is worth pursuing. It is truly unfortunate that you had to go through such an ordeal because of faulty eyewitness evidence. Studies repeatedly show that eyewitnesses to startling events often fail to identify the correct culprit, and that eyewitness testimony is easily susceptible to manipulation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.