Bismarck, ND asked in Immigration Law for North Dakota

Q: My Jamaican husband has a police record, will he be able to get a IR-1 Visa?

The wounding with intent charge is over 20+ years, he served less than 3 years in prison in Jamaica. He has some minor offenses after that the last being in 2009. We tried to have his police record expunged but after being told they could expunge but had to wait 3 years, they said no it is not expungable. We have been married 12 years and have a 12 year old son born in Jamaica but living with me in US. I have a good job, own a home, have health insurance, etc. so him coming here is way more conducive than me going back to Jamaica. What are our chances that he would be approved?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Myron Morales
Myron Morales
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: You need to obtain a copy of his criminal record and have an immigration attorney review it to see if it gives rise to any grounds of inadmissibility and if there is a waiver available. So, there is a chance that he could get a visa, but you need to have everything analyzed in advance so that you can develop a legal strategy that would best put you on a course to success.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.