Mattapan, MA asked in Family Law, Tax Law and Business Law for Connecticut

Q: Can my boyfriend sue his uncle?

Uncle opened a business in boyfriend's name a few years ago. Uncle kicked him out later. Boyfriend asked to have his name removed. Uncle cut off all contact. IRS just took nearly $3000 out of boyfriend's bank account today. There is literally no other reason for the IRS to take the money unless the business was still in boyfriend's name.

1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Your boyfriend needs to set up a consultation with a tax attorney. Most of us offer a free consultation. Unfortunately there is not enough detail here to give you an accurate answer. This would likely be a very difficult matter to resolve on his own particularly if, as I suspect, this is due to the business owing trust fund penalties (which may have been accrued prior to him ending his business association with his uncle.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.