Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Connecticut Business Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: I am looking at a contract and need to know what this means?

Except to the extent paid in settlement from any applicable insurance policies, and to the extent

permitted by applicable law, each Party agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the other Party,

and its respective affiliates, officers, agents, employees, and permitted successors and... Read more »

Joseph B. LaRocco
Joseph B. LaRocco answered on Aug 17, 2021

This is what is commonnly referred to as a hold harmless and indemnity clause and can be found in most business contracts as well as sales of LLCs, corporations, businesses, and even asset purchase agreements. I also include this type of clause in consulting agreements and independent contractor... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: Is it possible to hire an Attorney for just a nominee service (NOT a registered agent) for my corporate registration?

Many "publishers" offer to complete corporate registration forms for your new LLC or Corp with whichever state you choose and some offer registered agent service. Some offer an additional step by offering a nominee if you need privacy. Their rates are often double even triple what a... Read more »

Joseph B. LaRocco
Joseph B. LaRocco answered on Jul 29, 2021

Most corporate attorneys can handle this. They may also be found under categories such as "corporate governance" corporate transaction" or "corporate formations" Use Justia and look under those categories.

If the attorney will act as a nominee, there may be an...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: Do shareholders have the right to access Board of Directors Meeting Minutes in the State of Connecticut?
Joseph B. LaRocco
Joseph B. LaRocco answered on Jul 13, 2021

According to Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 33-946, shareholders of a Connecticut corporation are entitled to inspect the records of the company, including Board of Directors meeting minutes. If the company is uncooperative with a verbal request, then according to Connecticut State Business... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: Hi. I wanted to start a small business, I wanted to name it after a fictional character from a movie.

In the movie Young Guns, there is a character named Dirty Steve Steven's. I am looking into opening my own homemade soap business and calling it Dirty Steve's Homemade Soap. I want to use a chicken as the mascot but want it to be dressed like the character. Is this legal?


Joseph B. LaRocco
Joseph B. LaRocco answered on Apr 14, 2021


It really depends on whether or not the name is copyrighted. Even if it is not, the production company or studio that has the rights to the movie, and that is protected by copyright. They can decide to sue you claiming that since the movie is copyrighted, so is the name of the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Employment Law for Connecticut on
Q: can my company make payments on personal loan of mine instead of paying me a higher salary?

my company made loan payments for me instead of paying me a higher they want me to pay taxes on this money? is that legal

Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera answered on Oct 29, 2020

If your company pays your personal loan directly it must be reported as additional income to you and an expense to the company. If you own the company, you should check with your accountant to see if there are any actual tax savings.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Connecticut on
Q: can I create a game-ready replica asset of a registered trademarked building viz Tower of London for commercial use?

Video- game for commercial use, Environment creation.

Timothy John Billick
Timothy John Billick answered on Sep 29, 2020

This is a tough area of U.S. trademark law, and courts have different views on scope of trademark protection for buildings. On the one hand, rights-holders do have the right to exclude others from using the building images in commerce in a way that denotes "designation of origin" or has a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: a game store owner lets his dogs run around off leash, but I have a service dog and this interferes with her work? Help?

It’s a board game shop and they run Dungeons and dragons groups and other game groups. I want to go but I can’t because of the dogs. What do I do

Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg answered on Oct 30, 2019

Its likely a private establishment and the owner can allow the dogs to be there. You can’t force the owner to keep his dogs home or tied up in his own shop but you can ask him or her.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: How is the convienience store next door to me getting away with selling single cigarettes all day long?

1320 Whalley ave New Haven CT 06515

Allan F. Friedman
Allan F. Friedman answered on Oct 4, 2019

Many people throughout society violate laws and regulations. Law enforcement has only so many resources. The sale of loose cigarettes is illegal under federal law and can subject the store to severe monetary penalties

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: Is a Jazz trio of ind contractors, LLC in Vermont, required to register as a foreign LLC to play a series of gigs in CT?

The contract was made by an independent contractor on behalf of the LLC, and the order for services (playing the gig), required acceptance by the LLC out of state (as it's based in VT).

Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg answered on Feb 4, 2019

No. That would be absurd.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Tax Law and Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: Can my boyfriend sue his uncle?

Uncle opened a business in boyfriend's name a few years ago. Uncle kicked him out later. Boyfriend asked to have his name removed. Uncle cut off all contact. IRS just took nearly $3000 out of boyfriend's bank account today. There is literally no other reason for the IRS to take the money... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Nov 14, 2017

Your boyfriend needs to set up a consultation with a tax attorney. Most of us offer a free consultation. Unfortunately there is not enough detail here to give you an accurate answer. This would likely be a very difficult matter to resolve on his own particularly if, as I suspect, this is due to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Business Law for Connecticut on
Q: I have a business partner in AL, I am in CT. We are going to have a business agreement.

Should the agreement be based in a neutral state?

Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley answered on Oct 5, 2017

You can have an agreement with someone from out of state. You can pick any law you would like to avail yourself too. It is not necessarily bad to use CT law. Many national business agreements tend to be in NY or DE. It is also possible to change the state at a later date. For most people it comes... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Business Law and Medical Malpractice for Connecticut on
Q: Can my firm sue a medical practice for the misdeeds of one of their principal doctors against our firm's CEO?

After our CEO and his wife got into a big fight, a doctor who served as our client's Chairman of the Board, called his Marriage Counselor to obtain confidential information shared during counseling sessions. The doctor then shared that information with the client's CEO. As a result, my... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 21, 2016

Possibly for breach of the fiduciary duty to the corporation. Contact Michael Koskoff would be my suggestion. Feel free to give him my name.

Do not discuss this further on public sites.

All the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.