Livermore, CA asked in Child Custody for California

Q: How can I get the full custody of my children?Their father has been out of the picture for 10 years?

10 years I left the father of my children because of domestic violence. I went to live in a shelter with my children, and I never saw their father again. Now I am planning to apply for a passport for my children, but it seems that I need their father permission. Do I need to apply for their custody to do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Torri
Joseph Torri
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you were not married, you may need to file a paternity case. You may need to file a request for order for child custody and visitation seeking sole physical and sole legal custody if he has been out of the picture for ten years. More facts are required to provide a thorough analysis.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.