Lancaster, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: My husband and I have been together 10 years. 7 years ago we bought a house. But only in his name. Now we are divorcing.

Am I entitled to anything. Or does he get to sell and walk away while I become homeless?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Torri
Joseph Torri
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may have a community property interest in the house. In fact, it is likely that you have an interest in the home. More facts are required to provide a thorough analysis. Sometimes people sign away their interest in a property or something along those lines. These legal issues can get tricky. Most family lawyers offer a free initial consultation that you should take advantage of. You may be entitled to spousal support (alimony), if he is working, and the house. You may have an interest in retirement accounts and other property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.