League City, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: How can I purchase my parents house for cash and just have my name added to the deed without it being considered a gift?

My parents are elderly. I'm wanting to purchase the house they currently live in (cash purchase) but I just would prefer to have my name added to the deed as I intend for them to remain living in the house. This would give them more cash on a monthly basis to enjoy life a little more as well as (hopefully) avoid probate in the future. But can this be done without it being considered a gift?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes there is ways to do this. But it needs to be done in proper steps to protect all involved, both you and your parents. You should consult with a real estate attorney in the county where the property is located to determine the best method.

  • Bushnell, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You would need the assistance of a real estate attorney to draft a proper Contract and Deed. Since you are purchasing the home, it would not be considered a gift. You would have the Deed prepared to reserve a Life Estate for your parents if that is what is deemed to be in everyone's best interest. I would schedule a consultation with an attorney to determine your best course of action. Best of Luck! Jennifer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.