Spokane, WA asked in Probate for Washington

Q: Hi my father died and my brother is the admin. He gave me some money but won't show me any of the bank stuff or insurane

My brother is the oldest and my dad believed that the oldest should take care of this. He didn't leave a will that I know of but it was known that we were to share the estate. There was three boys but one the sons passed away. Dad wanted the third sons share to go to his wife and kids. The problem is that the admin is not an honest person and he doesn't like me. Does he have to legally show me the insurance and bank information? I don't think he split the money evenly between us. Please help! Thx

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Whipple
Michael D. Whipple
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Spokane, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You can file a 'request for special notice' with him and the court where probate is opened. Request an estate inventory, at the same time. He is required to provide this to you within 10 days of request (if the probate has been opened 90 days). This will at least provide you a list of all assets he has identified.

Consult an attorney if you 'do not trust' the appointed personal representative. A PR can be removed with cause.

Michael Whipple

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.