Marietta, GA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for North Dakota

Q: The Court issued Child support for a child that was not established in a paternity test.

My Husband is an alleged Father, but my husband wants to establish paternity and have the custody options if results are positive or have child support removed if results are negative. Is this an option? Child support is for ND, however we are Residents of SC. He did not attend the original hearing due to potential loss of job.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Lucas Wynne

  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: This question is too complicated to provide an answer over the internet. You need to consult with a lawyer.

Nicholas Nelson

  • Wahpeton, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: More information is needed to adequately answer. That being said, a paternity test may relieve your husband from child support. The court may also consider whether your husband holds out the child as his own and acts in a fatherly capacity. Another state will enforce a custody order from another state. Orders are generally modified in the district in which it was ordered. This is merely general legal information, and you should seek an attorney before relying on the above stated information or taking any action related to such information. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.