Kenner, LA asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Texas

Q: Ticket issued I had no knowledge of and no responsibility for accident. What do I do? Requested court date to dispute

Ticket said I was following too close and I wasn't in the lane following anyone involved. First vehicle slowed. Vehicle behind him swerved in my lane to avoid hitting him but still hot him. I could not allow down to avoid hitting this driver that came into my lane. Officer said first driver and myself were free to go. and that second driver who served was at fault and would get the ticket. This happened on May 18. I just received a yellow postcard about an open case. A ticket in my name for following too close. I wasn't following. I believe this is an error and have requested a court date to dispute. What do you think? Has this happened before? Should I consult an attorney? I feel that I can explain my situation myself. It seems strange that i would have a ticket when I wasn't issued one and was told I was free to go.

2 Lawyer Answers
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: You need to get a copy of the ticket, plead not guilty, see if there is a crash report, get the crash report. If you were hurt in the crash you may have a claim against swerving driver and need to consult a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Assn--they give free consults. Do not give statements over the phone to the other insurance companies --just refer them to your company. If you gave a statement to your company, get a copy. If you didn't, wait until you speak with the lawyer.

Unless the cop will bargain it down to a no point, as it's usually a point ticket be worth it to get an attorney if you weren't hurt --look for one who handles tickets in the court where your case will be heard.

Jeffrey Joseph
Jeffrey Joseph
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Seems strange indeed. I would say Mr. Munsing's response is accurate. If the case is in Texas, you have a right to trial for tickets. By pleading not guilty you can go into a formal pre-trial hearing to discuss your case with a prosecutor. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.