Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Texas Car Accidents Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Employment Law for Texas on

Q: I worked for car dealer and they let me use the cars in the lot. On Sunday I got hit, little damage

on the right front fender (I was not a the scene,found it like that). I got fired and now he wants to withhold my commission from a two car sales last week? If this is legal, how can I make sure he is not overcharging for the repair and adding extras to the damage?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 11, 2019

Contact a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Assn who handles employment matters. It's not legal to withhold pay. If the fender damage was not your fault tell him his dealer insurance should cover.

If fired you can collect unemployment as you would contest his saying it's for "good cause"...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Texas on

Q: Is there one honest attorney out there who will take my accident case, that has been in court filings for over 2 years?

I am very disappointed in the legal system, at this time. I know there are some good attorneys out there, but I only find the bad ones. Three generations of my family were badly injured in an accident over 4 years ago, and several lawyers have tossed the case around, then handed it back to us. We... Read more »

Timur Akpinar answered on Jul 6, 2019

Houston has many excellent and honest attorneys, and I've worked with some of them on maritime and other cases. Your fundamental problem may not be finding an honest attorney - there is no shortage of fine attorneys in Houston. You mention going through several attorneys in a case that appears to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Texas on

Q: Been sued for car insurance accident

2years ago, March 2017, I was trying to move my things so a friend of mine who stayed in same apartment approached me with a plan to help me out with cash to rent a truck to move and will also run into his car so he can claim insurance money from the truck company and give me part of it. I ran into... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 19, 2019

First, ask the website to take this down. You have hopefully mis written what is there. You need to speak to an attorney who handles criminal matters because while you have a defense to the civil claim, that defense has implications for other matters. Do not mention this in emails to friends (not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Texas on

Q: friend got a citation for no license in my car. They used my insurance. Will my parents find out? Or will my rate go up?

Insurance under parents

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 12, 2019

Was there a crash? If not no problem. Even if there was, I don't see a problem under most scenarios. Rates only go up if the driver is at fault in causing the collision, if there was one. The question of fault has nothing to do with the license.

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Texas on

Q: Do I have to accept what the insurance company is offering to replace my truck?

I was involved in a MVC on 5/9/19. It involved 5 vehicles with my vehicle being in the middle. The vehicle that caused the accident was a moving truck with a trailer. It took over a week before their insurance company would authorize me to get a rental. Because when the person that caused the... Read more »

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on May 22, 2019

They should pay for your towing bill as well. But, you could have determined the FMV of your vehicle and counteroffered the company and possibly been able to get some money in your pocket for a down payment. Good luck to you and we hope that you were not injured in the accident.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Texas on

Q: If i was involved in a accident hit and run and filed a police report and then i get a warrant for that hit and run?

Filed a police report and never did hear back? But then I get a warrant for that hit and run?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 30, 2019

Leaving the scene is a serious offense so even if you have a clear defense it's best to get a consultation from a lawyer who handles traffic cases in the county where the case will be heard.

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Consumer Law, Small Claims and Products Liability for Texas on

Q: Who is liable for repair costs of my truck that caught fire from lithium battery?

My truck caught fire while I was driving. Firefighters informed me the cause of fire began from weed eater Ryobi 18v lithium battery in the bed of my truck. I purchased from Home Depot. I have been advised by Ryobi employee to file an insurance claim with my car insurance. I would prefer not to do... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 26, 2019

As you didn't cause the claim and as they would have a "subrogation claim" your rates shouldn't go up.

You want your vehicle fixed or totaled. Don't worry about your company.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Texas on

Q: can power of attorney be appointed to a lawyer by the spouse of someone who is already in a coma.

How can a spouse have enough power to grant power of attorney to a lawyer on behalf of their comatose spouse, if they can't get power of attorney themselves??

Ross Diamond III answered on Apr 15, 2019

A power of attorney by a comatose person would be invalid.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Texas on

Q: I unfortunately was in a 3 car head on collision. I was Injured beyound repair. 3 attorneys later 0 action. I’m livid.?

Each Accepted case/ yet did absolutely nothing. I feel I been duped. Hoodwinked by GREAT FRAUDULENT INTERNET ADS. Injury happened nov 23 2017. Now on 3rd attorny and I visited and 2 promises WERE MADE as all paperwork I supplied, from a lil girl that at least gathered 2 inches thick ON A PLATTER,... Read more »

Daniel John Christensen answered on Apr 15, 2019

I am sorry to hear about your experience. Like any profession, there are good attorneys and bad attorneys. Without knowing the situation, I cannot promise you that I can help you, however, I am happy to review your case and let you know. I will not give you false promises. Good news or bad news,... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Texas on

Q: I was a pedestrian hit by car that fled. I know there were no damages they saying there are how do i prove it?

I was in front of walmart leaving the store when car hit did not yield and struck me and fled the scene. they say there are $973 in damages to the car when i did not hit it very hard and know there were none. Charged with failure to yield right of way. How do i prove no damages. claim keeps getting... Read more »

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Apr 1, 2019

If you were hurt and have substantial medical bills you should pursue your case by retaining an attorney with your proof.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Products Liability and Car Accidents for Texas on

Q: I was trying to make a uturn into a 3 lane which I had no stop sign. I needed to get to the far bottom left lane.

There was driver waiting at a stop sign trying to turn into the same lane. Does that person yield to me? Also can that person get in trouble for purposely trying to brake check me and hit me?

Daniel John Christensen answered on Apr 1, 2019

In general, if one driver has a traffic control device and the other does not, the driver without the traffic control device has the right of way. It is difficult for me to advise you on your specific situation with the facts given. Please call us and we can see if we can help you. 512-888-9999.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Texas on

Q: If I was involved in crash and I left my drivers license in the car. And the officer obtained the drivers license.

Without my consent. Did the officer violate my 4th amendment. Or is he allowed to get in the vehicle because it is an active seen

Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 18, 2019

It's an abandoned vehicle and as long as he didn't have to break in he can get the license--it was a crash, he needs to do his investigation. Focus on the big issues--if you are at fault, focussing on whether the officer could have /should have gotten your license isn't a useful use of your time.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Texas on

Q: . The family is looking for help to get his murderer(s) brought to justice. What can we do? She also is his beneficiary

We believe my brother in law was murdered. Our local cops had him have done a horrible job and now haven't even tried to arrest the woman who at least fled the scene of the crime. They want to give the woman 2 to 10 yrs and if it murder it should be a higher charge and way longer sentence. She is... Read more »

Grant St Julian III answered on Feb 7, 2019

If a beneficiary on a life insurance policy is found guilty of murder of the insured, she/he will not receive the proceeds of the policy. You will have to talk with the DA assigned to the case regarding prosecution. Sorry for your loss.

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Texas on

Q: young lady backed into me at sonic. denies it. have film footage from sonic cameras showing accident.

what kind of attorney would handle this? with the film footage it should be straight forward. and quickly resolved.

Timur Akpinar answered on Feb 3, 2019

A personal injury/car accident attorney who has handled property damage claims should be able to handle this.

Tim Akpinar

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Texas on

Q: What do I do if my airbags did not deploy in two separate high impact accidents in my truck?

I have been in two car accidents in my truck in the last 3 months. The first one was when I hit a deer going around 60 mph, and the second was a collision with another vehicle yesterday. It seems to me like the airbags should have deployed given the high impact and speed of both accidents.

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Jan 18, 2019

If your injuries are very serious and the airbags should have deployed then it may be a claim worth pursuing. But, your injuries would have to be indistinguishable from those that would have occurred in the first place.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Bad Faith for Texas on

Q: Can the liable party of an accident personally close a claim made on them after they are found liable?

I was rear ended and went through the liable parties insurance. After a few weeks, he was found liable and I obtained the incident report which corroborates my story as well as supports my statement that he was, "inattentive." I was texted by the liable party stating that he has closed the claim... Read more »

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Jan 17, 2019

You can still submit your damages to his or her insurance company for direct payment. There may be supplemental repairs to your vehicle so it is best to let the insurance company deal with it. Sometimes, these repairs are really costly and some damages are not seen until they begin repairing it.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Texas on

Q: If they say it was my fault being hit by a car will that effect my settlement

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Jan 13, 2019

Yes you may not be able to recover at all if you’re more than 50 percent at fault. You should get an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Texas on

Q: I bought a car from a used car lot that sales highend cars. I bought a 2008 honda civic. The car had no fuse to the

Airbags. They never let me know this or that it had a recall on it for the airbags. It somehow passed inspection though. Anyway my girlfriend and myself were both injured. The insurance people wont call me back. 2 honda dealers said it should be totaled and anther gave an initial estemate alot... Read more »

Daniel John Christensen answered on Jan 7, 2019

You have a potential claim for your injuries. It will be important to not lose possession or access to the vehicle. If you would like our help, please call our office at 512-888-9999 for guidance.

4 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Texas on

Q: Would I be able to sue for wrongful death? My mother was the passenger in a car accident.

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Dec 23, 2018

Sorry for the loss of you mother. You may have a wrongful death claim and also a survivor's claim. Was your mother married at the time of her death? How old are you? There are deadlines that have to be followed in order to recover as well.If you would like us to evaluate this claim for you feel... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Texas on

Q: Why is a a trial date set in a personal injury lawsuit, if they’ve been offered policy limits?

I have no assets, liability is not an issue, there were no serious injuries, so I’m a little confused as to why they choose to continue on with this. I’ve said since day one, the accident was my fault, she was not seriously injured, yet she chooses to get a lawyer and go on with this nonsense,... Read more »

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Dec 14, 2018

Sadly, it’s often your insurance company that may not be providing the plaintiff with full disclosure that indeed the amount being offered is the policy limit. Also, for the policy limits to be offered there were probably some serious injury there. Communicating with your insurance company’s... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.