Phoenix, AZ asked in Education Law and Immigration Law for Arizona

Q: Could my son and I stay until his high school graduation in May 2018?

My son and I are on an L2 visa. My wife is the L1 visa holder. Her L1 visa will expire on November 12, 2018. All our I-94 are still valid until November 12, 2018. However, her job assignment here in the US would end in December 2017 and will return back to the Philippines by January 2018. Just a few months more and my son will graduate from high school. Would it be possible (and legal) for my son and I to stay for a while so he could finish high school and graduate? After that, we will move back to the Philippines.

1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Your son can request of change of status from L2 to F-1. The school or the district should have information that could help with that. There is no provision for you to stay as a student, though you might be able change your status from L2 to B1/B2 (tourist).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.