Burns, OR asked in DUI / DWI, Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Car Accidents for New Mexico

Q: I was riding a friends ATV on their property and they hit me on their ATV. they are trying to sue me now. Can they do it

We were at a friends house and I was riding his dads bike. They had been encouraging me to ride all day and i had been saying no i just finally gave in to them and got on. Our friend that hit me had been drinking. He was playing horse shoes with my husband and in the middle of the game he stopped and got on his bike and started riding. I did not know that he was on the bike. I don't remember the accident. I spent 8 days in the hospital with several injuries. I was told that he hit me as soon as he got on the bike and he was going really fast. Can his dad sue me? this happened 6 months ago.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: They can try but you can counterclaim if it gets to that.See if you are covered by your homeowners. You would have numerous defenses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.