Nashua, NH asked in Bankruptcy for New Hampshire

Q: What is the maximum amount an attorney can legally charge a client for a chapter 13 bankruptcy in the state of NH?


Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leonard G Deming
Leonard G Deming
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Nashua, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Attorneys fees in Chapter 13 are subject to local court rules. Attorneys may charge anything in accordance with the contract with the debtor/client but if the fee exceeds the "no look" amount of a maximum of $4,500, then the attorney must file an application with the court to have the fee approved. The court will grant or deny the application based on all of the circumstances. No fee application is required if the total of the fee received is $4,500 or less. But anything over requires an approval order. I personally have seen fees approved in some case in the tens of thousands of dollars, although such cases are very rare.

Robert O'Brien agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Convenience, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Greetings!

Your question cannot be answered by simply stating a number. The rule on attorney compensation in chapter 13 cases in NH is:

AO 2016-1 Fee and Expense Guidelines

(a) Fees in Chapter 13 Cases.

(1) Unless the court orders otherwise, debtor’s counsel does not need to file a fee application, and the disclosure set forth in the Bankruptcy Rule 2016 statement will be sufficient for the court to allow debtor’s counsel’s fees if the total fee does not exceed $4,500.

(2) If the prepetition retainer is $4,500 or less, the chapter 13 plan may provide that the difference between the prepetition retainer and $4,500 be paid during the first twelve (12) months of the chapter 13 plan as an administrative expense.

(part (b) regarding expenses is omitted)

So the maximum without further review of the court is $4,500. If it is justified, the court will approve reasonable fees in excess of that maximum. You should be certain to explore all of the possibilities in your case with your attorney so there are no surprises regarding fees.

Good Luck,

Rob O'Brien

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.