Waldorf, MD asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland

Q: My friend is 15 years old. She is pregnant. Her dad abuses her.she wants to runaway.can she live with the father ?

Can she live with the father of her baby and his parents ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Thank you for trying to find answers for someone in crisis.

Generally, child protective services has authority to get involved with any situation involving ongoing abuse of a minor. Options may include temporary custody to another family, some type of foster care arrangement or perhaps an agreement reached among all the parties. In unusual circumstances a teenager may seek emancipation or the legal right to be treated as an adult. The abused person may wish to call a non-profit legal assistance program for victims of domestic violence although such services are typically offered to adults. Two such hotlines in Maryland are:

House of Ruth Toll-Free Legal Hotline: 1-888-880-7884

YWCA hotline (410)-222-6800 or (410)-222-7273

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.