Maryland Juvenile Law Questions & Answers

Q: My broker is requiring court documents showing I am the Guardian of my daughter's settlement money under title 13

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Answered on Feb 27, 2019
Eric Todd Kirk's answer
You need to get the court's permission to withdraw money from a Title 13 trust account. You need to apply to the circuit court of the county where you, and show cause and standing, for the withdrawal.

Q: So my daughter's Stepmom wants to get charges on her. My daughter called her sister and left a message saying she was

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Answered on Oct 1, 2018
Gary Kollin's answer
Sounds like your daughter did not call you. That is strange.

You know all your information through hearsay.

Why are you waiting around if youo are ACTUALLY concerned that your daughter is facing or suffering from physical harm.

It is now 14 days later.

You have the right to contact authorities including the child abuse hotline

Q: I’m a minor from MD I had weed over 10g I think, I got juvenile misdemeanor citation, if it’s over 10G I will be charge

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Answered on Sep 20, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
Check to see whether the citation says if it's "civil" or not. If civil, it will be under 10 grams. If not, then you will receive notification from the Dept. of Juvenile Services to appear for an intake meeting with your parents, and at that time you would likely be offered the option of completing a program in exchange for the matter being closed informally. You may even receive such an offer in the mail without having to go to an intake meeting, so long as you sign up before a certain...

Q: Is it possible to run away at 17 in Maryland, if you've already graduated high school?

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Answered on May 1, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
First, you and your parents should be aware that the Maryland State legislature just passed a law banning conversion therapy on anyone under the age of 18. The governor has said he will sign it. This pseudoscience has been widely discredited as junk science.

You can call Child Protective Sevices (CPS) in your county if you feel coerced or in danger of being forced into fake medical treatment that you disagree with or believe may be harmful. You may also file a court action for full or...

Q: My friend is 15 years old. She is pregnant. Her dad abuses her.she wants to runaway.can she live with the father ?

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Answered on Nov 21, 2017
Cedulie Renee Laumann's answer
Thank you for trying to find answers for someone in crisis.

Generally, child protective services has authority to get involved with any situation involving ongoing abuse of a minor. Options may include temporary custody to another family, some type of foster care arrangement or perhaps an agreement reached among all the parties. In unusual circumstances a teenager may seek emancipation or the legal right to be treated as an adult. The abused person may wish to call a non-profit legal...

Q: Can parents in marylandrefuse to feed cloth or adbandon their child if they are 19 but still in high school with learnin

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Answered on May 6, 2017
June Marie Marshall's answer
Article ­ General Provisions


(a) (1) The age of majority is 18 years.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section or as otherwise

specifically provided by statute, an individual at least 18 years old is an adult for all

purposes and has the same legal capacity, rights, powers, privileges, duties, liabilities,

and responsibilities that an individual at least 21 years old had before July 1, 1973.

(b) An individual...

Q: How many years will my friend most likely serve in prison?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Answered on Apr 21, 2017
Eric Todd Kirk's answer
These are obviously serious charges. If your friend has been charged as an adult, he faces in excess of 25 years in prison. Because of the number of charges, possible sentences may be impossible to predict at this point. He, or his family should immediately seek a consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Q: Can my son go to jail for taking a knife to school in Prince Georges County Maryland?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Answered on Mar 23, 2017
Thomas Joseph Maronick Jr's answer
It's a whole other ballgame as to what kids can bring to school. If the knife is illegal in general, then potentially YES if he is charged as an adult. It sounds like they are going to charge him as a juvenile which is not a jail situation but could be reform school or similar. In our practice of juvenile law, generally those cases work out favorably for the defendant compared with a criminal court.

Q: Can me and my girlfriend get married, and can I get emancipated?

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Answered on Aug 12, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
You need parental consent to get married, until you are 18.

Q: I had a trust fund that was spent by my guardian before I was 18. Why did this happen?

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Answered on Sep 5, 2014
Thomas C. Valkenet's answer
You must examine the trust documents, and how the money was spent. If the trust says funds can be spent on your education, for instance, and it was used to pay tuition, buy clothes and books, etc., then the money was properly spent. But in the end, you may have to sue. Our office just concluded a case like yours, where a young lady sued her family for failing to distribute money from a trust. She got her money, although it took several months in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.