Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Kentucky

Q: Does he legally still have a foot to stand on after all this time?

My ex hasn't seen our kids in 3 yrs. He refused to sign their birth certificates so they have no legal father. He is now threatening my husband with taking us to court to 'steal', as he says, my kids back. They want nothing to do with him. They're 9, 7, and 6. He was both physically and verbally abusive to me and them. I don't have proof other than our vivid memories and what I told friends. He's a very narsicisstic person. Can my husband adopt them under abandoment and he be gone? What is the best way to get him out of our lives and stop the drama.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Joseph T Ireland
Mr. Joseph T Ireland
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You can file a termination of parental rights and adoption. Contact a local attorney to discuss the details and come up with a plan to move forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.